Top Tips for Better Sleep
The pursuit of the perfect night’s sleep is an age old one. We all know that a good night of sleep sets us up for a great day ahead. Here are some tips to help you achieve your best sleep:
1. Stick to a schedule - Going to bed and waking up around the same time each day (even weekends!) helps to set your body’s sleep/wake cycle and promotes better quality sleep.
2. Comfy Bed - Make sure your bed, pillows and room are comfortable. This seems obvious but many of us put off replacing our mattress or pillows even though we spend around a third of our lives in bed. So the right bed and bedding is one of the best investments you can make.
3. Avoid caffeine, alcohol and cigarettes - Caffeine, alcohol and nicotine can disrupt sleep and should be avoided close to bedtime. Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants that can act to keep you awake and their effects can take hours to wear off.
4. Eat a light dinner - Heavy meals before bedtime can be difficult to digest, causing discomfort and disrupting sleep.
5. Declutter - A tidy bedroom space promotes relaxation and tranquility. A neatly made bed and orderly room helps declutter your mind too.
6. Disconnect from technology - Try to disengage from technology at least an hour before bed. Switch off those phones and iPads, Facebook can wait till the morning!
7. Get the Temperature Right - Research suggests that a temperate between 18 and 20 degrees is ideal for your best slumber. So consistently cooler is better.